Sunday, February 22, 2009

1st Discussion Post

In this book, the main character's name is Liesel Meminger. She is a very shy, scarred little girl (not scared, scarred) who acts very calmly around her new foster family. She doesn't speak much, but she communicates in other ways, particularly with her new foster father Hans Hubermann. She relates to him quite well, even early on in the book. I don't really relate to Liesel much because she is very quiet while I am not. Also, she has had very different experiences from me, so I don't know if I could understand how she feels. To fix her mistakes, Liesel needs to be a little more extroverted, but I don't know how easily that will come. Liesel is mainly influenced by Rosa Hubermann and Hans Hubermann, her foster parents. Rosa influences her behavior, while Hans influences her recovery after seeing her dead brother. It seems that Hans influences Liesel more than Rosa does, however. 

6 comments:

  1. I forgot that she doesn’t talk a lot, because of her actions. She communicates a lot with her actions, and also because the narrator death gives us a good insight into her head. Hans does help her cope with her loss of her brother, and Rosa doesn’t act quite like a mother, but Liesel does everything that Rosa asks her to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said on how Liesel is more influenced by Hans. He is more comforting than Rosa and helps Liesel with her reading and writing. I noticed in the beginning of the book that she is quiet, but I think Liesel begins to open up to Hans when he stays with her during the nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, like Alli, also forgot that she doesn't talk that much especially because Death makes her emotions almost seem like words. I also would say the same things in comparing myself to Liesel. I didn't think about her needing to be more extroverted but after reading your blog i think that would probably be of benefit to her. I also agree that Liesel is more influenced by Hans than Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about Liesel and how she is so quiet. I really like seeing Hans and Liesel's relationship develop and how they get along. I also can't really relate to anything Liesel is going through and how she acts, but she is still a very interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, but I have changed my mind a little on Liesel. She has become more extroverted, thanks to Rudy Steiner, especially when she tries to read in front of the class. I think that took a lot of courage because she was still struggling with reading. (Sorry if I spoiled the book for anyone!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Rudy is helping Liesel recover from all she experienced with her family. I think that the more time Liesel spends with friends that are her age, the more outgoing she will become.

    ReplyDelete