Monday, February 23, 2009

Post #1 - Character

Leisel Meminger is the main character in The Book Thief. She seems to be a brave girl when she wants to be, but very quiet and weak other times. After Leisel's brother dies, she has nightmares every night about her being left alone with the Hubermanns, which shows her weak side. Although this continues to happen, she also stands up for herself against kids at her school who tell her that she is stupid. The two closest people to Leisel are Rudy Steiner, her best friend, and Hans Hubermann, her foster father. Hans is one of the biggest influences on Leisel when she settles in and helps to teach her how to read and write. When Leisel first goes to school, they realize she does not know how to read and write and is therefore sent back to kindergarten. Hans stays up with her every night after she is woken up by her nightmare and they what they call "midnight class," where they read and find out which words Leisel does not know. Eventually, Leisel is back with her class, although she still is not the best at reading or writing. Leisel's character has already changed a lot since she first came to stay with the Hubermanns, but I'm sure we will see her change much more throughout the story.

7 comments:

  1. Your post made me think about how Liesel might change more throughout the story. Will her nightmares ever go away as she gains even more confidence? That's the only way I can think of that Liesel might change. But I'm curious to see in what other ways she'll change as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really make me think about how much Leisel has already changed. When I was reading, I hardly noticed all the changes and differences she began to show. I am excited to see how she grows and changes throughout the rest of the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree, Liesel can be very weak and shy, but she can also be strong and brave. I think it just depends on the situations she is on and the people that she is with. I also agree that from what i have read, she has grown a lot and i think she will continually grow throughout the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post reminded me how Liesel was so incredibly shy when she came to the Huberman house, and Hans helped her so much to gain confidence. I think Rudy has affected her too, and it'd be nice if you mentioned how he did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn’t think about how much she has changed already. It’s almost like as she continues to learn how to read she is continuing to grow as a character and be more confident.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your post and you made me realize that Liesel has already changed so much. In the beginning of the book, she was very quiet and shy. Then, she met Rudy and befriended Hans which has helped her grow and become more confident. I'm interested to see how she changes as I continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do agree with you that Liesel will not change much over the course of the story. I think maybe the characters around her will change more than her. Maybe she will have a drastic change in character in the end with a drastic event, maybe the death of Hans Huberman.

    ReplyDelete