Friday, February 27, 2009

Discussion 1- Character

The main character in this novel is Liesel Meminger. She has gone through a lot in the first couple of chapters with the death of her younger brother and being forced to move in with a foster family. But even though she has gone through so much, she learns from her experiences and becomes stronger. At first, Liesel would have nightmares about her brother's death which showed she is still young and weak, but she also is able to beat up boys at her school that bully her. Liesel is both strong and weak and i can easily relate to her and her actions. At times, i can be very strong and not let anything get me down, but other times, i let one comment get to me and i break down. Liesel collects books that she finds that remind her of experiences she has faced and they keep her entertained while she is learning to read. The character that helps Liesel learn to read and really cares a lot for her is her foster father, Hans Hubermann. Hans Hubermann is a good role model, who i think has a huge affect on Liesel's life and the way she acts. Overall, i think Liesel is a very interesting character and i can't wait to read more into the novel and see what more experiences she will go through.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Liesel is an interesting character. I like how you talked about Hans Hubermann's role in her life because like you said, i think he has a great influence of her, and is the only reason she is okay with the fact that she has to live with a foster family. I also like how you compared Liesel to yourself because i think a lot of people can relate to feeling strong at times and weak at others. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that Liesel is a very interesting character. I really like Hans and Liesel's relationship, and how he is a role model for her because he is so loving. You brought up a good point of how she is weak and strong at the same time and I completely agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to relate to Liesel as much as I could, and I found it supriseingly difficult considering I am not a foster child. I hope I do connect with her as much as I can. I agree with you that she is very strong at times when dealing with Rosa and her rude attitude. I try to be too when I'm talking to my annoying parents as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with what you say for the most part but I do not agree that Hans Hubermann is a good role model. He smokes, is almost indifferent to her stealing of the books even when he buys her a few. What really makes me think that he is not a good role model is how he lets Liesel's step mother beat her and verbally abuse her. I agree with what you say for the most part but I just don't agree with the Hans Hubermann part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I agree with the thought of her having nightmares from her brothers death as her being weak and young. I think that if a lot of people saw what she had seen, they would have nightmares too. I mean, she is young, but I think he having nightmares about her brother and not acting out in other ways shows that she is kind of mature.

    ReplyDelete