Saturday, February 28, 2009

Discussion 1: Character

The main character is a young girl named Liesel Meminger. In the beginning of the book, she is quiet, timid, and lives through a horrific event. She witnesses her brothers death and then has to leave her mother who was the only other family member alive. Liesel is then forced to live with a foster family. During the first few months, Liesel starts having nightmares of her brothers death and wakes up terrified and screaming. Her foster father, Hans Hubermann, comes to comfort her and read. Although she has been through a lot, I think Liesel becomes less timid and more confident as she starts meeting new friends like Rudy and becoming friends with Hans. She also is made fun of at school but beats up a kid for bullying her which shows some of her new confidence. Liesel begins to look up to Hans and they build a stronger family relationship as she starts opening up to him. Hans begins having "midnight classes" with her because Liesel is illiterate and is put into kindergarten. She begins working hard on her reading and writing skills and is then moved up to the grade she should be in. I don't think I can relate to Liesel because she has been through different  experiences than me, although I tend to be quiet like she sometimes is. 

6 comments:

  1. Since i wrote my blog on Death as the main character, is was interesting to read one on Liesel. I agree that she is becoming more confident and I think that she will only grow in that way the more friends she has and the more books she succeeds in obtaining. I don't think i can relate to Liesel either, except i would say that i do in the way of being a hard worker for something that i want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although Liesel is timid and shy at the start of the novel, I think that it is evident that she has a lot of confidence right from the start. I agree that her confidence shines though once she starts meeting new friends, especially her new friend Rudy. I think that when she saved the goal in the soccer game she finally began to assimilate into the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that over time Liesel becomes more confident. The beginning of the book made her look very shy and illiterate, but as the book has proceeded, Liesel grows self-confidence unlike anyone else. Could it be her connection with Hans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the above posts, that Liesel does become more confident and comfortable as the novel proceeds. I do believe that she has a strong connection with Hans which may potentially make her confident, however, I do believe Rudy is also a very self-confident character because of his playful attitude and the fact that he is very comfortable and outgoing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your post. I think it's easy to connect with her though. Instead of thinking of what she's going through, I look at how she feels, and chances are every one has had emotions similar to the one's she is feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree with you when you say that it is hard to relate to Liesel. The more I read, the more I try to imagine what it would be like to lose your entire family and start over with a completely new life. I am amazed that Liesel is doing so well in her new home because I know I would never be able to handle her situation very well.

    ReplyDelete