Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hans Hubermann

Hans hubermann, Liesel's new foster dad, is a very interesting character. He is a quiet man, unlike his loud and opinionated wife. Him and Liesel share a special bond, starting from the moment she arrives. Hans coaxes her into the house and later is the one who rushes to her bedside when she has her terrible nightmares about the death of her younger brother. Hans seems to be Liesel's escape from the past (her brother dying and mother leaving her) and the present (bieng separated form her family.) He comforts liesel and acts like her real father, since hers is gone with hitler's army. He lets Liesel help him roll his cigarettes and spends as much time as he can with her. He also plays his accordian to ease Liesel's distraught mind. Hans Hubermann is a caring, loving, quiet man who i think will have a significant impact on Liesel's life. So far, this thoughtful man is my favorite character.

8 comments:

  1. When I first started this book and Hans first came into play, I couldn't help but wonder why he and Rosa had ended up together. I mean, opposites supposedly attract but they are so different in every way. Later, we began to see a softer side of Rosa, especially after Max made an appearance. This also gave the reader some more insight into Hans, who is one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the beginning of the novel, I wasn't sure i was going to like Hans just because he had adopted Liesel and made her leave her real family, but i quickly changed my mind when i saw what a great father he is. Hans is always there for Liesel when Rosa isn't and he really cares about her. I agree with Gili and think that he will make a huge influence on Liesel by the end of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the contrast of Hans Hubermann and his wife. It is so funny because I see her as this short big woman and him as this tall skinny man, so when they have such contrasting characters I find it funny, yet they still complement each other. Plus they both have their own way of showing love, but there is no doubt that they do have love for Liesel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alli, I also thought is was funny that Hans and Rosa Hubermann are so much different than each other. Although Rosa acts towards Liesel and treats her differently than Hans does, you're right to point out that the two both love her a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hans Hubermann too. He is so kind and caring and you can help but appreciate him. I had the same vision of the, Alli, and it is funny when i picture her freaking out at him and him just staying calm through all of it. I feel like he is the rock or the calm through the storm that Liesel is going through and i love his personality and caring side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote about Hans Hubermann as well, and I agree that he is the most interesting character so far. I like that you referred to him as Liesel's escape from both the past and the present. He is a comfort to Liesel and I agree that he will have a big impact on her life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with what you said about Hans and I also really like him as a character. He is such a fatherly figure and I think Liesel really needs that now after her brother died, and she is in a foster home. Hans treats her with such kindness and really makes an effort to love her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hans who what is his personality like?

    ReplyDelete