Saturday, February 28, 2009

Discussion Post One

The most interesting character in this book so far is the narrator, Death. In the first chapter, Death proudly introduces himself as neither evil nor nice, but agreeable, amiable, affable, etc. This allows us, as readers, to come to terms with Death’s open personality and his narration. Death, a very distinctive character, is also able to tell the story of the book thief unlike anyone other human could. With the view point of a bystander, Death describes the story through his personality, faintly cheerful in the dark times of war. He is indifferent to all the deaths in the story, and just goes about his own business, taking the souls of dead people. It is a matter of coincidence that he chooses to tell the story of Liesel Meminger, the book thief. Taking time from his normal schedule, Death describes the life of this girl who basically likes books. Liesel could just be the emotional warmness Death needs, since he has such a gruesome profession. This is most likely why he chooses to interfere and tell stories of humans, to experience the warmness of life.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you brought up how Death as indifferent to the deaths in the story and is cheerful in times of war. I think that's one of the main things that sets this book apart from other war-based novels. The book doesn't try to make you cry, it just states things as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how Death also remembers the Colors, the colors of the sky when people die. I find that very interesting and how when he retells about a death he describes the colors that he remembers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you said that Liesel could be the emotional warmness Death needs. I never thought about that but it seems like it could make perfect sense. I also agree with what you said about his introduction allowing us to understand his personality, and that no one could tell the story like he can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wondering throughout the novel why Death takes such an interest in Liesel. I like your idea that maybe Death craves emotion and warmth, and perhaps Liesel and her story provides that. It will be interesting to see how involved Death becomes in Liesel's story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is very interesting how the author makes it clear that Death is not evil or nice. This is because most people usually associate a caricature such as Death as evil because he essentially kills people. I find him very like able though because of his tone. So far he is the reason this book is so interesting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think death is a really cool character, but I don't think that his job is gruesome. I think it's really clean cut and... normal? I mean, everyone dies, so after having seen so many people die, it's just like watching cars go by. I think that having death as a narrator gives more feeling to the book, with the threat of death hanging over the entire novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your description, but I think Liesel is the first person whose life Death has paid attention to. The reason why Death first took an interest in Liesel is when she looked straight at him, though not seeing him, when he took her brother away. Death may also have taken time to watch her life progress, because she witnessed death three times.

    ReplyDelete