Saturday, February 28, 2009

Discussion 1- Character

Death, is the narrator of the novel, The Book Thief. The narration is my favorite part of the book so far, because it is in a view that I have never read before. It is very interesting and different to read from the view of Death because it isn't in contact with the other characters, but knows about them and watches them. Death's job is also very weird and makes you look at death in a different way. In the book, his job is described to take the suffering away from the dying, and "handing souls to the conveyor belt of eternity" (pg. 23). It is also a very strange character, because in the introduction, it talks about different colors and their meanings. So far, Death is my favorite character because it is really easy to see his view of things and his views of the characters. I also like how there are side comments on what something might mean, or just a random comment. Death is a very twisted and strange character who really adds to the book. The Book Thief is a really good book so far, and all of the characters are very interesting, even though Death is my favorite.

8 comments:

  1. Hailey, I agree with a lot about what you said. I also noted his comments and said that he was a strange character. I like the quote that you picked because I think it helps illustrate something i said, which is that death has i nicer tone then you would expect. I agree with you also that he is an easy character to understand the viewpoint of. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about death. He is also my favorite character. I like how unique his character traits are. He also has an interesting dry sense of humor that's enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Death did freak me out a little in the beginning. It was interesting to learn about the different "colors" and how he works. I've never read a book with Death as it's narator, so I'm excited to see the interest that it will bring! I also look at death in a different way now also, I just feel like it's really awkward to hear about what "Death" thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Death is definitely one of my favorite characters in the book, too. I agree with what Joe said about how he has a dry sense of humor that makes the book a lot more enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hailey, I agree with you how intersting it is to read a book where death is the narrator. It just gives the book a different feeling when you are reading it. It's so true how he describes all the characters truly, the different descriptions of Hans vs. Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about how the interpretations of different colors is weird. It also is a very engrossing perspective that allows the author to describe the setting in even more detail. I hope that Death will continue to provide new insight on Liesel's life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also think that death is an amazing character. I like how the author put death into a person who seems really normal. I thought it was weird at first, but now I see that it's actually really fun to read from the perspective of death. I think that his sense of humor adds a lot, and it wouldn't be the same if he didn't have such a serious job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hailey, I agree that having Death as the narrator makes the book interesting and different. I also agree with you that Death is very strange, and how it knows everything and watches all the characters, but never really meets them.

    ReplyDelete