Sunday, March 8, 2009

#2 - Setting

The Book Thief takes place in Nazi Germany. More specifically, Liesel lives with her foster parents in a small town in Germany. The setting is described really well so it is easy to picture it. Whenever I am reading it, I imagine this small town looking very run-down and poor, with lots of gray and brown and other dark, depressing colors. I also picture the Hubermann's home and the street being extremely small and dark. The setting definetly reflects the mood of the book and the time period this is set in. The mood has a darker tone to it, which is caused by the events taking place at that time, such as Hitler's rule. During that time there was a lot of fear, which reflects the dark, fearful, depressing setting.

6 comments:

  1. I never thought of it that way, but i totally agree how the setting is fearful and dark, just as the emotions of the people during that time were dark and gloomy. I also think both the mood and tone of the book are mainly expressed through the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that you comment on how you picture the colors of the town. After all, Death likes colors and describes people by their color. I'm not sure I agree that the Hubermann house is dark. Though I guess it depends on where you are in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the setting is very detailed. I think this adds much more to the book, and how depressing this time was, especially for people like Liesel and Hans. I hope that the descriptions of the setting continues to develop, so that I can get an even more clear picture of what the author wants his readers to envision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very interesting how you bring up the colours of brown, gray, ecetera. But yet Death at the beginning of the book, had talked about the main colours he saw, being black and red. As more bloodshed and violence happens within the book, do you think the colours of the setting will transition into being imagined as more red and black colours, or will you continue to imagine the same browns and grays? Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you and Cindy both said seems very true. Colours are constantly being reiterated. I also think that the colours are what make the scene and the mood. My vision of the town is really similar to yours. Especially during the winter I can imagine the dingy, grey, brown snow pushed to the side of the roads, making it much sadder.

    ReplyDelete