Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Discussion 2-Setting

This book takes place in Nazi Germany. But, the twist in this Holocaust book is that it's not in a concentration camp or a Jewish neighborhood, but in a normal German neighborhood. I think it's an interesting idea and a new perspective. The setting shows Liesel how the rest of the world can hate, which is something she doesn't realize until she starts learning about Hitler. Also, the setting shows Liesel a new side to her father Hans. It shows her that he is a bit of a tortured soul, especially when he actually punishes her for the first time ever. I think the fact that death is narrating make it easier to visualize the setting because you don't have to picture yourself in the place of the main character, but more in the role of a ghost watching from above. It also makes transitions from place to place less shocking. As well as the setting is portrayed, I don't think that it could be set anywhere else, because then Liesel wouldn't have the critical part about her mother in the mix.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that the book is partially so interesting because it isn't focused on the Jewish side of things. I think that your description of Hans as a tortured soul is really interesting and really fits with the way he acts sometimes. I like that you mentioned how it is easier to imagine the setting because you are viewing it as a "ghost from above." I didn't really think about that but now that I do, I really think that it does make it easier to imagine what everything looks like. I agree that the part about her mother would be hard with a different setting, but i disagree that it couldn't be set somewhere else because their could always be changes, as in reasons for things, so that it would still make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also especially like your idea of viewing the book as a "ghost from above". This really helps us look at Liesel's life from an overall perspective and not just what's going on in that particular moment. However, I disagree that the perspective of Death helps the transitions move more smoothly. The transitions and changes in time period or setting still seem very random and confusing, and it seems like the author is just using the fact that Death is narrating as an excuse to make these random transitions. I feel like this attempted foreshadowing is very annoying to the reader who just wants to read the book, and the random changes in setting seem like a failed attempt at keeping the mood depressing and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Death narrating makes us feel less a part of Liesel, and more as a person watching the story unfold from above. Thats a really good way to put it and I hadn't thought of it that way before. Also, her mother would be a very strange occurrence anywhere other than Nazi Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this new perspective the author has created is unlike other books settings. I also like how you said that having Death as the narrator makes it easier to picture the setting and that your view isn't from the main character, but a "ghost watching from above". Seeing what's going on from above makes the story more interesting because you can see what's going on with many different characters rather than only the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea about Hans being a bit of a tortured soul. I never looked at him in that way, but now that I think about how his life is during this time of war and how he acts about it all, I see it. I always thought of him as being almost immune to all of the terrible things that were happening outside their home because he is like an escape for Liesel, but it makes a lot more sense to remember that he is hurting from it all too.

    ReplyDelete