Saturday, March 7, 2009

Discussion #2- Setting

The Book Thief takes place in Nazi Germany. However, in contrast to most books of this time period, this is told from overlooking a normal german neighborhood rather than a concentration camp. This is an interesting perspective to read from because usually a book during the Holocaust time period focuses on the concentration camps and what life was like for the Jews. In order to understand certain parts of the book you need to know a little background information on the Holocaust and about what was happening to the Jewish population. Liesel experiences both the supporters of Hitler and those who are being cruelly punished by him. She is introduced to the "road of yellow stars" where all the Jewish people live with the yellow star of david openly painted on their doors. She also sees the many german shops with ant-Jewish signs posted on the windows. Most of the country follows and supports Hitler, and salute and applaud when the Nazi soldiers march through their streets. Hans Hubermann however doesn't seem to feel very strongly about Hitler and it will be interesting to find out why and see how this influences different events throughout the novel. I can easily visualize the setting from the descriptions of the book. I see it as a dull kind of foggy neighborhood where most people are on the less fortunate side of things. I think that in some ways the book could have been in a different setting, but it wouldn't be as interesting or suspenseful if Hitler's rule wasn't going on during it, and many events would need to be changed.

9 comments:

  1. I also picture a dull, foggy neighborhood when I'm reading about Himmel Street. I'm also glad you mentioned how some backround knowledge about the Holocaust would be helpful when reading this book. Unlike most books that take place during this time, not very much information about the Holocaust is given; it's assumed the reader would already know that. The mention of the Nazi posters in store windows and the "Road of Yellow Stars" are meant to help the reader expand on what they already know about the Holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,
    I think it's very intersting how th ebook takes place in a different setting than the concentration camps. It is nice to read a story in a little different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of the same sort of thing when I picture Himmel street. Everything just seems dreary and dull. I also think that "The Road of Yellow stars is a wierd and very eery part of the book. That kind of creeped me out. The perspective is a very different one than I have read before, because it doesn't really talk about all the terrible things happening yet, but I think it will later in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Himmel Street is such a perfect way to set the scene of this book. I almost see a happy-deserted street with no life but death. How ironic, the narrator is death!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visualize the same things when I think of Himmel Street. The neighborhood is so dull and sad. I also think it's interesting to read a book with a different perspective not coming from Liesel (or a main character) but the narrator, Death. Death's narrating and descriptions of events adds to the dreariness of Himmel Street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fact that Himmel Street, as well as the rest of the neighborhood, is poor adds on to the dullness of the people who are "on the less fortunate side of things." The street in general is unlike anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your description of the setting and definitely agree that it is different to have a setting other than concentration camps during this time period. I also agree that you do need some background information when reading this book because otherwise you would be confused about things like the yellow stars and what they may symbolize. I also what will happen with Hans not supporting Hitler during this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with how you described the neighborhood. I also find it interesting that this book shows a normal neighborhood instead of a concentration camp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also want to know why Hans isn't so swayed by Nazism as his son. It seems that his placid personality makes him less inclined, but it could also make him more likely to go with the flow. Hans seems like a man who would be passive and non-militant, even when he's forced to do something of that nature.

    ReplyDelete