Sunday, March 15, 2009

Post #3

I think that the most important element of figurative language or literary element is having Death personified to be a living person and character. Death is usually considered a figurative element that goes around taking peoples' souls when they die. In this novel, he is made to be a real character that has various encounters with Liesel. He sees her various times when she is around during the war and stealing different books. Death as a person does not actually interact with her. He only observes her, and is fascinated by how many times she can escape death, and the job he can to her to do. I don't think that Death directly affects Liesel at all. He doesn't affect any of the characters for that matter. I think that Liesel affects Death, by the actions that he observes and is able to internalize. Death also does not affect the elements of the story, since he is only a bystander. I am still enjoying this book a lot, and I can't wait to finish it, I am almost done.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the personification of Death is the most important. The story would be so much different if it had been told from the point of view of Liesel or Hans..

    ReplyDelete