Thursday, March 26, 2009

Week 5- Overall

Overall I really enjoyed the book, it was a very fast read and I had to pace myself over the past five weeks. The beginning really pulled me in with the first chapter being in the point of view of death. I have never read a book that had its narrator as death and that added a new twist. I also enjoyed it because even though it took place in the time of the holocaust, it was about something different than other Nazi Germany books, it was about a little girl who wasn’t Jewish yet she was affected by the surrounding issues. The book started to become more interesting when Max came into the picture; he added that sense of adventure and fear. Rudy was also a fun character, in the beginning he was so willing to become Liesel's friend, plus I thought that the Jesse Owens incident was hilarious. Throughout the book I began to love Rosa and Hans Hubberman, even when Rosa yells. My favorite scene is when Rosa comes to Liesel’s school and starts yelling at her about a hairbrush. Even with the yelling it was such a cute moment to have Rosa then say back to Liesel, you said to yell to make it believable (or something along those lines). The way this book was written also intrigued me, how there would be the random bolded center notes. I never really understood why it was like that, but I enjoyed it. Overall I thought this was a good read, but not a difficult text, but a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment