Sunday, March 1, 2009

Discussion #1 character

Hans Hubermann is, in my opinion, one of the most interesting characters so far. Right from the beginning Hans Hubermann is a unique character who surprises not only the reader, but also Liesel within the story. When the foster parents are introduced, the reader expects them to be mean and careless as the stereotype often goes, and Rosa Hubermann fits this sterotype. Rosa is short-tempered, angry, harsh, and Liesel hates her. Naturally the reader assumes Hans will be the same way. Hans Hubermann, however, is introduced as a quiet, gentle, and tolerant man. It is obvious from the start that there is more to him than meets the eye. He comforts Liesel and becomes a very important father-like figure in her life. Soon, as the story unfolds, Hans Hubermann starts leaving the house and no one knows where he goes. It is easy to assume what he is up to with a basic knowledge of the plot, but he is introduced as such an unlikely character to be involved in mischief. Overall, the character of Hans Hubermann is somewhat confusing to me as his actions and personality conflict, but it will be interesing to see where his character goes as the story continues.

10 comments:

  1. I agree that Han Hubermann is one of the more interesting characters in the book. He's my second favorite character after Death. He seems very liberal, and likely to be opposed to the Nazi's. It's very easy to imagine involved in some conspiracy against later in the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoy Hans Hubermann as a character and think he is very gentle and loving. You brought up a good point about how you would expect for Hans to be mean like Rosa but he is not. I think it is kind of a relief to the reader to know that someone is loving and caring towards Liesel, since Rosa is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Hailey and Joe. I really like Hans Hubermann and what he adds to the story. I agree with Tess that Rosa fits the stereotype of a foster parent in a book, and how I was expecting Hans to be the same way,m but instead he is very kind and gentle. You mentioned how Hans is leaving the house a lot and i to wonder where he has been going. But like you said it seems like he wouldn't be involved in mischief so my assumption is that he is just going somewhere to bring in money, especially since it mentions that he brings his accordion with him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Hans Hubermann is an intriguing character. He does indeed become a father-like figure for Liesel, unlike Rosa Hubermann. I also began to assume that Hans and Rosa practically cancel each other out in Liesel's life; one being very nice while the other very irritated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that Hans is a really interesting, and confusing character. I always have the feeling that he is going to one day crack, and never come back from his late night outings, but he always does. He intrigues me, and I like that he is so kind to Liesel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Hans is a very interesting character. Your post made me think about how, as readers, we thought the Hubermanns would be very mean and not care at all about Leisel, yet Hans loves her and wants to help her and make her comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh- As to where Hans go, wasn't there a part of the book that said he goes to bars to play the accordion during the winter to bring in extra money? But my apologies, I'm basically restating what Alex said. :) Either way, I think you make a really good statement about stereotypes Tess- Normally it is the fathers that are written as being characters who do less caring as the mothers, and yet Rosa and Hans seem to have had a bit of 'Gender Reversal.'
    I have a feeling that Hans was written to be the more supportive and influential parent however, because Liesel never met her real father [if I remember correctly], but she had communicated with her real mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tess, I love how you described Hans. I like how he connects with Liesel and comforts her. I also think it's sweet when he teaches her to read, even though he can't read well. I'm excited to see how he develops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for commenting twice in a row, but I forgot to add something. I also agree with Cindy about the idea of a role reversal with Rosa and Hans. It does seem that Hans is a more feminine character than Rosa in the emotional sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you got Hans right on. You're description is so accurate. I think that to survive with Rosa he has to be a quiet guy. I also think that he knows that there is something good within Rosa, or I don't think he would stay with her.

    ReplyDelete