Sunday, March 8, 2009

Post # 2 - Setting.

Here's a good quote I found at the beginning of my reading for Week #2 I think I should share with you guys. It pertains to setting very nicely.
"In fact, on April 20- the Fuhter's birthday- when she had snatched that book from beneath a steaming heap of ashes, Liesel was a girl made of darkness. The question of course, should be why? What was there to be angry about? What had happened in the past four or five months to culminate in such a feeling? In short, the answer traveled from Himmel Street, to the Fuhrer, to the unfindable location of her real mother, and back again" (Pg 84.)
The way I interpreted that quote is the main idea that... Liesel's misery is deeply rooted in the fact that she's never in the right place at the right time- But also my idea that if she knew where her mother was, "the setting" of her mother so to speak, she would probably be happier as a person.
Feel free to comment?

4 comments:

  1. i think this is a very clever and observant way to interprete the setting, and i agree. It is evident throughout the book that she belives her true place is with her mother. Perhaps the mother symbolizes Leisel's home then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the idea that Liesel can never seem to be in the right place at the right time. I also think that she is trying to find where she belongs. I really want to know where Liesel's mother is, because it seems like this is a critical part of Liesel's life that is hidden from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Cindy I will have to disagree, Liesel is in the right setting for her. Liesel has no special attributes accept being stubborn and impulsive. Liesel is a bland character in a bland setting, made for each other. While the characters that surround Liesel, like Rudy and special and colorful/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Liesel is already in the correct setting for herself on Himmel street. I like the comment that Liesel, as well as the setting around her, are bland, but colorful characters like Rudy and Max bring the excitement to her life. I don't feel like I need to know where her mother is--Liesel's mother is dead, so her exact location shouldn't matter. What should matter are the people and events surrounding her right now on Himmel street, which, as the book progresses, she does accept as her true home.

    ReplyDelete