Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week 2-Setting

The setting of The Book Thief is appropriately portrayed. During the time of Nazi, Germany, it was very depressing for many. The author's description of the setting is very dark and gloomy. Having Death as it's narrator, adds to the drearyness of this time era. The author captures the negative tone and general mood of Germany that can make almost any reader have permanent pessimist thoughts. As the plot of the story is powerful and dictative, the settting must complement the plot. Nazi, Germany was a very powerful city in that time and helps the plot become stronger because of the great amount of strife. It is important to understand this time period and know a little about the Holocaust in order to connect with the setting as well. With all of the information and books involving Jewish refugees, its interesting to view a different perspective of Nazi supporters and how they are involved. Liesel and her family give a general idea of how life is on the other side of the story.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with your point that the setting and plot have the same feeling of power and strife. That is a great point and it made me think a a totally new way to look at the setting and why it was set there. I also agree with your point that the point of view is very inventive and a new thing that I have not yet seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said "the author captures the negative tone and general mood of Germany." It made me think of how changing this dull setting would have affected the book. The setting also does a good job of complementing the plot, making everything more intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the author does capture the negativity and the overall mood of Germany during that time. Having Death as the narrator also adds a lot to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the setting is very appropriate for the time period the book takes place, and that it is very dark and gloomy. I kind of agree with Death being narrator adding to the darkness but at times I forget that he is the narrator and to me, it just seems like a view from above, but not especially gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that because Death is the narrator it makes the setting feel even more gloomy, even when it isnt that sad of a part. When i see the town i usually see it with a gray sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that having Death as the narrator makes it more gloomy, but I think that Death also helps readers picture the setting more easily. And I agree with what Alli just commented; I also tend to picture the town with a gray sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that Death as the narrator makes the entire setting so much more gloomy, but also just the descriptions of the town and the people makes the setting even more sad and depressing. But at times, Death can be humorous which makes me forget how terrible the setting in that time era actually was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you mentioned the fact that Death being the narrator adds to the dreariness and gloom of the setting. Often while im reading, i will forget that Death is telling the story, but when I remember all the gloom of the story makes more sense. I also agree with the fact that you need to know a little background information on the Holocaust to better understand the setting.

    ReplyDelete