Sunday, March 1, 2009

Post #1-Character

I chose to comment on the character Hans Hubermann. Hans is Liesel's foster father and is one of my favorite characters so far besides Rudy. Hans is such an interesting man and has the biggest heart. He treats Liesel as if she were his own child with everything that he does. He always is there when she is alone especially at night when she is having one of her frequent nightmares. On page 33 & 34 Zusak gives a little background knowledge of Hans. I enjoyed getting to know him through the authors descriptions, but after knowing that information, it helped me connect with the character on a deeper level while I continued to read. I have also noticed the relationship he has with his wife, Rosa Hubermann, and how frusterated I get. Hans deserves something better than his annoying "aggravating" wife. He puts up with a lot, but I still dont understand why he is married to her. Hans is sweet, witty, caring, thoughtful, and hardworking, ALMOST the complete opposite of his wife. But hey, opposites attract right? Lastly, I really enjoy the positive and loving relationship that Hans has with Liesel. It's refreshing for me to know that Liesel and Hans understand that Rosa is a little off on some aspects of life, like patience and respect. I'm excited to see these characters develop!

6 comments:

  1. I like how you mentioned that Hans deserves a better wife, because all Rosa really does is complain. I think that he does deserve something better because he is such a nice and loving man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, I agree with you and Katherine, how did the two Hans and Rosa ever end up together when they are completely opposite types of people? It doesn't make any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie- You bring up a very good point about Hans and Liesel acknowledging the fact that Rosa is a bit on the abusive side. In most abusive relationships, there isn't much recognition between the people involved that someone is being abusive- Just negative feelings after they spend time together. But Hans and Liesel flat out know she isn't a nice person for the most part. Is there anything they can even do about it though? Rosa was assigned to be Liesel's mother, and Hans probably does depend on Rosa a bit for cash whenever he doesn't have painting to do and isn't playing accordian in the taverns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that hans is with Rosa because his heart is so big. I get the feeling that he's someone who will love someone if there is any chance that they might be good, even deep down. I think the fact that he and Leisel have such a good relationship would get annoying to Rosa, because she's stealing away Hans' attention, even if they never got along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that he deserves a wife better than Rosa. He is so loving, but she only complains and makes a hobby out of annoying him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, I completely agree with you about Hans and Rosa. They do not get along at all and seem like they are wrong for each other. However, I think that Liesel is exactly what they need to bring them together. I am hoping that raising Liesel together will force them to become closer and will save their marriage.

    ReplyDelete