Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Book Thief is set in Nazi Germany. Liesel, the main character, lives with her foster parents in a small German town. They have a small house, with a basement, a kitchen and two bedrooms. Their house is small and dark. The setting in this novel reflects the mood of the story. The mood is very dark and slightly depressing due to the oppression of Jews by Nazi's and the death of her brother that Liesel carries with her. The setting is dark and oppressive just like the mood of the novel.

5 comments:

  1. I also think the setting reflects the mood. It also reflects the time period kind of. It was a horrible time, the book is in a horrible place, and they just fit together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the specific descriptions of the house add a lot to the setting, and that they represent the mood. I should have included more detailed descriptions in my post like this. I think that the darkness of the house, very strongly reflects the overall setting of Nazi Germany in WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you for bringing up the death of Liesel's brother, Joe! I'm not sure about you, but I had kind of forgotten about his death on the train at the beginning of the novel.
    The connection that you've made though, with settings helping depict the inner feelings of the reader's mood, is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that I have begun to forget about Liesel's past life and the loss she has been faced with. I definitely see how that grief that she still feels is portrayed in the setting and the way things are described in the novel, good connection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm constantly forgetting about the death of Liesel's brother! Now that she's developped such a life on Himmel Street (as bleak and boring as it may be), the death of her brother seems like a distant past. I agree that this event adds to the gloomy feel of the novel, but it's just a small detail in the train of gloomy events that occur.

    ReplyDelete