Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Discussion Post #2

Most books that are set in Nazi Germany, like The Book Thief, are told from the point of view of a Jew or someone that is fighting the Nazis. However, The Book Thief is about people in a normal German neighborhood that consists of mainly people who follow Hitler. I like the fact that the book is told that way, because it gives you a different view and it is something different from the other books you read. When Liesel walks through her neighborhood, she walks by shops that are owned by people who follow Hitler and agree with him, but she also walks by shops that were owned by Jews but have been shut down. Hans has been open about how he does not agree with Hitler and his way of thinking, even though he can't let anyone know that. He hides a Jewish man, Max, and helps him out. I think the setting is crucial to the overall story, because it would be hard to have the same story set in another country.

8 comments:

  1. I also like how the story is told from this point of view. I mentioned Liesel's walk through the neighborhood too and i think this really played a role in helping with the description and image of the setting. I said that the setting could probably be changed but I also see your point because in some ways the setting is 100% crucial to the story. I wonder if sometime in the story Hans Hubermann's disagreements with Hitler will cause a problem. I have a gut feeling they will, but eventually we have to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering also if the setting was altered, if it would no longer work for the book. I think if the story took place in a more wealthy neighborhood it wouldn't, because the support of Hitler and the anti-Semitism views would still continue. However, the fact that it's told from the point of view of an average German citizen really helps the reader get a new look at Nazi Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This point of view is interesting, but I think that you could change the country, but not the time period. It could have easily been set in Poland or Austria, or one of the other countries under the control of Hitler. The general feeling could have easily been the same in one of those countries if it was set in the right town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Hitler and his work is really what affects the setting. I agree Emily, any country really would be affected the same way under Hitler's rule. However, if it was in a more wealthy neighborhood, Hitler may treat them with more respect as long as they are following the Nazi ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also thought about if the setting was changed, would it still work for the book? Would the author need to change a lot of parts of the story to fit the new setting? I don't think it could be altered because the setting is a very important part of the book as you mentioned in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think that the events and message of the book would be as strong if it took place somewhere else. I like hearing from ordinary German people who are not being ostracized like the Jewish people, but who are suffering nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if this took place in another European country, it would be the same in some aspects, but the major parts of the plot would be affected and the story wouldn't be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also agree how you it is interesting to read the book from a view of not only being in Nazi Germany and not a concentration camp, but also form people who are not supporting Hitler. I never really thought of that point before but I completely agree with it. It is also weird how you can see the religions of some people just by looking at the shops windows and see which businesses are still going.

    ReplyDelete