Sunday, March 15, 2009

Discussion #3-Literary Elements

My favorite literary technique about this book is the imagery. The descriptions are clever and insightful. I like how Zusak doesn't come right out and say what's going on, but he sort of drops in on stuff and describes situations so that you get it but it isn't blatantly obvious. The images are very well drawn out. Especially the scenes involving Liesel and Rudy. It seems like the author is detailing those scenes more to strengthen the view of their relationship. I also like the revolving perspective. It allows you to see how others feel about the events and not just Liesel. The foreshadowing in this book is also very nice. I feel that it allows the reader to expect somethings without being able to read the whole movie. But, some of the things can get a little confusing. Like when Max left. I thought that could have been explained a little better. But, the most obvious literary technique (in my opinion) is the personification of Death. It makes Death a creature with thoughts, feelings, and hopes, especially when Death wants Liesel to kiss Rudy.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that one of my favorite things about the book is the imagery, its like by Zusak giving us more description he is also giving us more room for imagination and interpritation of what he is describing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I think it makes it more fun to read as well. Personally, when I read a very descriptive book, I can really picture it in my head. It helps me appreciate the book more.

    ReplyDelete