Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Discussion Topic #5 - Overall

"The Book Thief" proved to be very different then when I had been expecting. The point of view of the characters was so different from other books of this nature. Also, the narrator made this book unique. I found that although this is one of the more morbid books that I've read, some moments throughout the book made Himmel street seem like the best possible place to grow up. Obviously, this was not the case considering kids like Rudy never got to grow up. Several times, I found myself lingering on the contents of the bolded portions of the book. The parts in bold were always something either made me think about something in depth, or came back later in a painful way. I think that this book was very well put together in the way that Death revealed most of the ending by the middle of the book. It tricked the reader into thinking that the end wouldn't be as horribly sad because they already knew what was going to happen. I found that because I knew what was coming, the ending was more brutal because I wasn't expecting to feel as sad. Overall, I thought this book was a really good read and is one of those books that I'll remember to recommend when someone asks if I've read any good books lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment