Sunday, March 1, 2009

Post #1

The main character and my favorite of the book, is obviously the narrator, Death. He acts very relaxed for the job he has, and that is shown through his demeanor and brazenness towards the situations he encounters. I think that he acts this way because his job has become so routine that he is rarely affected by anything that happens during his work. This is something that I think makes Liesel's story so compelling because someone like Death takes an almost insatiable interest in her life. I can't really relate to Death, just because of the line of work he is involved in, and the fact that he really doesn't live his own life, but experiences others' through his job. I mean to say that there isn't anything that he would do without humans, so their lives are really the only thing he has to observe and take interest in. Death is an extremely interesting choice for the main character because he gives a perspective on the story that can't really be achieved by anyone else. Death is someone who can look onto the happenings of the novel, not someone who is in them. This is able to give the reader a completely new look on the story, and I think that the novel would be much less captivating, had the author not chosen Death as a the narrator. I am looking forward to seeing new ways that Death can portray events through his unique viewpoint.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting I always noticed that it was narrated strangely but I have never thought the narrator was death. I do agree that Death as a narrator does give the book a unique perspective because the human emotions would almost skew the story if it was narrated by a character in the story. I do disagree that death takes a insatiable interest in her life though, if feels like Death is detached, and is taking no interest. But is retelling the story as if it were routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason he's so relaxed at his job is that thousands of deaths happen every day. I think that's also why he takes such an interest in Leisel, because he never really connected people's lives with their death's. He would only arrive at the time when they had to die, and he never saw them before that. Until he made eye contact with Leisel, he had never had a connection with a person before their death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definetely agree that Death's perspective is quite interesting. Death is detached,and that does seem to be the case with Liesel, as well. Death is interested in Liesel's life, but he rarely gives input and when he does it still has a stoic tone to it. If there is a way to relate to Death, it is that he is detached in order to avoid being saddened by grieving people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Anders, I never imagined that the main character was death. After reading your post, however, I have begin to look at the book a little differently. I like the idea of thinking about life in the eyes of death and i certainly think it will make the book a lot more interesting.

    ReplyDelete