Friday, March 27, 2009

Discussion 5- Overall

Overall, i really enjoyed this book. I think that Markus Zusak did a great job with portraying the horror that people faced in the Holocaust, even the Germans. One aspect that i really enjoyed about this book was the fact that it is written from the perspective of death. I heard that in the beginning, so i was a little hesitant about reading such a gruesome, depressing story, but it was only dark in depressing in a couple of areas. My favorite scene was the scene where Rosa comes to Liesel's school to yell at her about a hairbrush when she really wanted to tell her that Max was safe. Another scene that was the most touching to me was when the Jews were walking through Liesel's neighborhood and Hans couldn't stand their suffering so he gave one of them a piece of bread. This was so touching because the Jew was so shocked and dropped on his knees and hugged Hans. This scene really shows how harsh the Jews had it and how grateful they were when someone was willing to give them a simple piece of bread. But although there were some significant scenes that stood out for me, the entire book was so intriguing and interesting with Zusak's unique writing. I love how he would have certain parts bolded to show their importance to the novel. I also love his vivid descriptions of different things and actions in the novel. Even though it was a pretty easy read and i went through it really fast, it has a deep meaning that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment