Sunday, March 15, 2009

D3- Literary Elements and Figurative Language

Markus Zusak is a master of figurative writing.  His use of personification and similes is astounding and it continues to catch me off guard while I read The Book Thief.  The part of the story of Hitler's birthdat and the big fire, Zusak personifies the fire: "He recieved a torch from an accomplice and lit the mound, which dwarfed him in all its capability."  This, to me, symbolizes the fire of the Nazi Party engulfing the population of Germany, and that is deep.  Also, this might simulate the fire of hatred engulfing Liesel when she realizes her mother has probably been taken away by the Fuhrer.  Either of these explanations could be considered as a simile and the fire is being personified.  Zusak uses these techniques throughout the story, and particularly when the mood is tense or waiting.  The use of the figurative tools enhances the book a hundred-fold.  Zusak keeps me interested, while I am waiting for the next interesting and inventive figurative phrase.

9 comments:

  1. it's really intersting how descriptive Zusak is, he just brings you into the book more, you become more interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really interesting connection you made, the fire of hatred engulfing Liesel because she believes it is the Fuhrer who took her mother.

    As I read that part of the book, the flame had symbolized to me the burning hatred of the Nazis [and almost Germany as a whole], towards Jewish people. But that's a very cliche [sort of] connection to make.

    Either way, it's amazing that his language can convery one specific mood and yet be interpreted in a plethora of ways by readers like us, as you have proved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you that the book is enhanced by Zusak's use of figurative language. I like your example too, because like you explained, there is more than one explanation that can be drawn from the symbolism. I also think it is an interesting point that he specifically uses these figurative tools when the mood is tense,

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is an interensting poing that he uses the figurative elements when it is a tense mood. The Figurative language helps describe the situation and make it more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Zusak definetly keeps the book interesting with all of the figurative language. I liked your point that he tends to use personifcation and similies when the mood is more tends; I never really thought of that, but it is very true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you that Zusak does a great job using the figurative language. I also really like you analogy of how the fire represents the Nazi's engulfing the population of Germany. I never really thought about the fire in that way but I totally agree! I also like that you brought up how he uses the figurative language when it is a tense part of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book really does have an exemplary use of figurative language. I like how you connected the descriptions to something else. It really helps extend Zusak's purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think his use of fig. language is more general, and not only when the mood is tense. The entire book is filled to the brim with similes, so I just think he uses them as part of his style of writing.

    ReplyDelete