Sunday, March 15, 2009

week 3- literary elements

The part in the story where I felt that there was a lot of meaning was during Hitler’s Birthday, and that huge fire. This is when the Book Thief struck for her second time. After the fire had died down and the German soldiers were shoveling away the ashes is when she noticed the book. “A small section of living material slipped from inside that ash.” (p119) Now obviously the book was not a truly living breathing being, but compared to the “dead” burned books it was much alive. Especially to Leisel, words were so important to her that they were living. This sentence is almost a little personification. The Book was not literally breathing or alive, but the words are almost alive on the pages, because of their importance to Leisel.

5 comments:

  1. Good example of Personification. It is a prime example of human qualities given to inanimate objects, but I like how it also has deeper meaning. Showing how the book is alive to Liesel or as important as something that is living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anders, I really liked you example of personification, especially since it is an important part of the book. I like how it is thought of as still alive, even though books aren't actually alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that's it's a good example of personification. There are other places in the book where I noticed unexpected objects being given life. Words and air have been personified, for example, two things that are intangible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this example of personification because it is, in my opinion, the most important. The author personifies many things, including death, but the most important thing he personifies for leisel is her books and thwir words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that words were very important to Liesel. I think that when the author personifies Death, it becomes even more real to us.

    ReplyDelete