Sunday, March 1, 2009

Character- Post 1

Liesel Meminger, the main character, is a quiet young girl. Her mother places her into foster care after her brother dies. By the time we meet Liesel she has already been through so much trauma and loss that I can’t help but think that she wasn’t always so shy. However, as soon as she arrives at her new foster parents house, she is too scared to even get out of the car. I can imagine that losing the only two family members she had left would cause such a change in behavior. I do wonder if when she warms up to her new family, we will notice that she becomes more outgoing. Liesel also seems very smart, but does not know how to read. I find this interesting because as soon as Liesel finds her first book, The Gravediggers Handbook, she becomes infatuated with books and reading. My second prediction is that Liesel will learn to read soon, possibly taught by her new foster father, Hans. I have been enjoying the book a lot so far and I am excited to read further into the book to see if my prediction come true.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this book but: I wonder why her mom put her in foster care? Was she not able to take care of her. And how young is she? Is she at an age where she should be able to read?

    ReplyDelete